Through education, advocacy and action, the Georgia Climate Change Coalition aims to increase awareness about climate change and its projected impacts; work in partnership with all Georgians and stakeholders to promote solutions and adaptations to the climate crisis; actively support local, state, national and international energy/climate change initiatives and legislation; serve as a clearing house for climate information.
Our Goals and Objectives
- Encourage GCCC members and the public to learn more about climate change and its projected impacts. Educate ourselves on what other communities are doing to respond to climate change.
- Work closely with faculty and professional staff in the Georgia Initiative for Climate and Society, University of Georgia. Attend and promote Initiative events.
- Invite all citizens to our public programs – including critics of climate science – respect all voices, proceed carefully on this controversial, heavily politicized issue, and become a unifying voice – not divisive – within our communities. With our emphasis on coalition building, work to broaden a climate action constituency beyond the traditional environmental movement.
- Actively support and defend the work of Georgia’s climate scientists, the world’s climate scientists and the United Nations International Panel on Climate Change.
- Work in partnership with Athens-Clarke County public officials, academic community, green organizations and community members to create a model city or “Transition Community” on climate change. While our initial focus is on Athens, we hope that GC3 could become a voice for statewide leadership on climate change, promoting ideas for Georgia towns and communities elsewhere.
Need to contact the GCCC? Please email info (at) georgiaclimatecoalition.org and we’ll see that your message gets to the right mailbox.